Dan Scanlon and Scott Clark are the directors behind this year’s biggest animated movie. They’ve overseen production and animation on movies like “Toy Story,” “Finding Nemo,” “The Incredibles” and plenty more.
Boys’ Life featured the two animators in the July issue and, as a bonus, the guys offered up some tips on those of you hoping to work in movie animation.
Dan Scanlon’s and Scott Clark’s Tips For Getting into Movie Animation:
- Just start shooting things; just start filming.
- Set the bar low at first. It’s OK to use your cell phone video.
- You can make a five-second film that’s funny or emotional.
- Just keep making them.
- Don’t get bogged down with one animation if it’s not working. Move onto the next one.
- Keep practicing. Listen to stories. Read a lot. Bring in as much information as you can.
- The most important thing? Make something rather than talking about it.
- Get an internship. That can lead to being hired.